No one has more influence on a child's growing sense of God and the Catholic faith community than the child's parents. At Baptism, the faith is proclaimed for infants by their parents and godparents who represent the Church.
Baptism unites us with Christ because it incorporates us into the Church. St. Paul describes it as being "clothed" with Christ. The Church mediates the presence of the risen Jesus to us. It is through the Church that we are introduced to Jesus and grow in our ability to recognize his presence among us in the Scripture, in the Breaking of Bread, and the Assembly.
Policies and Procedures
- Parents generally have their children baptized in the parish where they themselves are registered, participating members.
- Baptisms, except in emergencies, are not celebrated during Lent.
- A Godparent must be a Confirmed, practicing Catholic over the age of sixteen (If there are two godparents - only one of the them needs to meet this requirement). Only one godparent is required but if two are chosen only one from each gender is allowed.
- Members of other Christian churches may serve as Christian witnesses as long as there is also one eligible godparent.
- Godparents who are not members of HNJ parish are asked to present a Sponsor Certificate from their own parish at the time the baptism is scheduled.
- Parents MUST attend one baptism class before scheduling the baptism of their child.*
* If you have attended the baptism class within 3 years, you do not need to attend.
- Baptism classes are offered on the second Sunday of February, April, June, August, October and December from 10:00-11:30 am in Rm. 3. (A meeting must be completed before the baptism date.)
- Several months before the baby is born, parents should register for the baptism class and register their baby's baptism by going online (see below). Our nursery (Treasures of the Son) is available during this meeting.
- Infant Baptisms are celebrated after the 12:15 Noon Mass on the second and last Sundays of each month.
- Baptisms can also be celebrated within the Mass. Please call the Life Center Office to schedule a baptism.
- The Baptism of older children (6 years of age or older), teens, or adults follows the Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA).
Below are links for registering your child for baptism. (you can complete both forms at the same time)
For further information, please contact Tamila Hennessy, 321-773-2783, x210, email@example.com.